Google
 
Web geepersworld.blogspot.com

Thursday, November 10

Traditional Training Part 1-- The Almighty Push up

Ahhh, my biggest enemy... the Almighty Push up.

It's the simplest of exercises, you lie down and you push yourself back up. The Army loves them, the Marines live for them and the rest of us shun them...


The basic push up hits the triceps, shoulders and chest while bringing the core (mid-section) into play just to keep you ridged. Not a bodybuilder type exercise because there is no real progressive resistance without added weight, but great for general conditioning, fitness and building simple willpower, cause it's SOOOO easy to quit at any time. It's also something you can do anywhere and almost anytime.

A few variations

Normal- Hits the triceps, chest and shoulders
Hands wide- Hits more of the chest
Hands together in a diamond- focuses on the triceps
Feet up on object- more shoulders and triceps and more difficult
Feet up on object and hands in diamond petition- crazy triceps destroyer
Up on knees- easier for the beginner
Weighted- just plain harder
Uneven- one hand up on something- for balance and core
Hand stand push up- almost all shoulders and some triceps (good luck)
On armed- hits the triceps, shoulder and chest and helps develop balance and core strength

(For those of you wondering, the weight you move with a push up, starts at the bottom around 2/3rds of you body weight and gets progressively lighter through the motion)


I always do them at the end of my chest workouts, when I'm burnt out, weak like a little girl and can barely get off the floor. I use them just to totally burn out any chest that I have left and will do them in sets of 15-20 with a minute break between each set (Something I stole from The Rock's workout) ... BUT every once in a while I start wondering how many I could do if I was fresh... So a few weeks ago I gave it a try... and I actually impressed myself with 60 consecutive reps, the most I've ever done, and actually, now I'm doing them a few times a week and starting to enjoy them.

In case you wanted to try, the world record for continuous non-stop push ups is 10,507 preformed by Minoru Yoshida in 1980.

So how do you work on doing more? Sets is the best way. Do as many as you can, rest a minute and then go again. Keep doing this till you're totally spent. Rest a day, rest days are very important. Next time you try it shorten the rests up by 10 seconds. Continue this patern till you are going non-stop with no rests (That is 50 second rests one day, 40 second rest the next day etc). Where do you go from there? Well, you start over but now your first set is insanely long, rest and go again in the same pattern. Call me in a year when you are doing 500 at a time! (Hope that explanation made some sense)

The push up, easy to do, hard to do right, many variations and REALLY hard to do a lot of them (even my 65, that I'm up to now, which I don't consider a high number, puts me above 99% of the population for my age, the average being 30)... So get off you fucking computer right now, drop and give me as many as you can! (You worthless piece of crap!)

Gratuitous Hot Chick
(She makes me want to do push ups!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home