Google
 
Web geepersworld.blogspot.com

Wednesday, March 14

I'm INSANE

WOW…

You know when you have an idea, a plan in your head, then as it comes to pass you start shitting your pants?

6 months ago I started Muay Thai. Partly because I was looking for some new challenge, in part because it was combat orientated and VERY physical, and I’ll admit it, my interest in MMA played a huge role in my decision as well. Right from the get go my goals were very realistic. At my age I knew I’d never fight professionally and probably would never fight as an amateur either because anyone they would put my up against would have at least 20 or more years of training on me. So my goals were to simply make it into the advance class someday and start some Brazilian Jiu-jitsu in time as well. When I start a new hobby I really want to do it, not some watered down version of it. So in starting my Muay Thai I wanted to end up honestly training MMA like a real fighter eventually. Of course 8 hours a day isn’t realistic because I have a real life, but for those few hours at the gym I wanted it to be the real deal.

Just to explain, the advanced class isn’t just people who have been doing this for a long time. It’s not like you’ve done your year so you get to move up. Some folks spend years in the beginner’s class trying to get the right combination of speed, technique and conditioning to be able to move up. Others never even aim to move on and simply enjoy the cardio and self-defense aspects of the beginner’s class. The advance class is guys who take this deadly seriously. Their technique, speed and conditioning are way beyond the average student and they are there to fight. Seemed like a great long-term goal.

To re-iterate… You know when you have an idea, a plan in your head, then as it comes to pass you start shitting your pants?

Before I know it, it’s here. Monday I start training with the professional fighters in the club (and the jiu-jitsu starts even sooner). Not to name names, but these are guys who are nationally ranked, guys with real title shots upcoming in the next few months, guys who held national championship titles in other countries. This ain’t playing around anymore, this IS the real deal. Holy crap, what did I get myself into. 6 months ago all I was was a guy who used to get into the odd street fight, and that hasn’t happened in YEARS, now I’m gonna be sparring and training with top competitors daily. Not only that, but in filling out the medical forms I find out that I AM the oldest guy in there by far. By far. I’ll be sparring with guys who technically could be my own son.

Don’t get me wrong though, I’m stoked! I’m itching to go toe to toe with some of these cats. Man, my face is hurting just thinking about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home