Google
 
Web geepersworld.blogspot.com

Saturday, March 10

Brush With Celebrity #7239642652

In 36 years you run into a lot of celebrities and famous people. Some you hunt down with a pen when you are 16 years old looking for an autograph. Others you see daily for years and years in the same coffee shop every morning. Some you meet through business dealings or work, and of course some you just bump into in public.

So last night I walk into the club and who is siting there trying to catch a nap but Jorge Gurgel.
Jorge is well known in MMA (mixed martial arts) circles for his own 12-1-0 record, his Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and also for being Rich Franklin’s (former UFC middleweight champion) head coach and best friend. Add to that the ½ a dozen MMA gyms he runs in the USA and his appearance throughout the second season of The Ultimate Fighter on Spike TV, it’s hard not to know who he is if you follow MMA in any way, shape or form. Love him or hate him people in the fight game know him.

Now honestly, Dartmouth Nova Scotia is really kind of an out of the way place on the world scene. We don’t even really have our own name anymore. (Halifax sort of took over everything and renamed it all the "Halifax Regional Municipality"). Well, we might be out of the way, but we have great connections in the MMA world. Our club actually has close ties to and is affiliated with Jorge and his jiu-jitsu schools.

So last night I walk into the club and who is siting there trying to catch a nap but Jorge himself. I notice his eyes half open as I passed, so I take the opportunity to introduce myself, say hi and that I’m a big fan.

Like I said, in 36 years you run into a lot of "celebrities" and I have to say Jorge was one of the nicest celebs I have ever run into. He instantly popped up from his attempt to catch some shut eye, and in his thick Brazilian accent explained he had been up since 4am that morning in order to catch his flight, hence the nap. A warm handshake, a big smile and he seemed genuinely interested in who I was and somehow before I knew it we were talking guitars. (Strange how us guitar players always seem to find each other and end up talking about it no matter where we meet.) And it wasn’t just me, all night he was super friendly to everyone.

I don’t think I’ve met a more approachable, open, friendly and down to earth celeb in a LONG time. Hey Jorge, next time you are up here how about we trade some guitar lessons for some jiu-jitsu lessons?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home