Google
 
Web geepersworld.blogspot.com

Wednesday, January 3

Happy New Year, A Little Help With Those Resolutions

I stand by what I said before..


Without some type of resolution you aren’t even trying to be a little better than you currently are and then what’s the point of even getting up in the morning? To do worse than the day before? Anyway, I strongly believe in resolutions now but I still haven’t quite figured out what ALL my own resolutions are this year. I have a few, but I’m working out the details in my own head and making deals with myself for the rest. I know that sounds a little crazy.

Anyway, here’s an update of an OLD old blog of mine reviewing a website that might just help you keep all those resolutions this year. 43Things is a place you list or choose things you’d like to do and your “future self” sends you an email every week (or 2 weeks, or month, or whatever you choose) to remind you of these things you’d like to accomplish. I joined Dec 29th of 2005 to give it a try, a year later here's my thought on it.

For the first 2 or maybe even 3 months the weekly emails just pissed me off and I almost cancelled my account more than once, but the guilt of seeing “myself” email those things I wanted to do kept me from closing the account and giving up on those goals. I learned to love the delete button when they showed up in my in box. After 6 months I was actually glad to get those weekly kicks in the ass when I had all but forgotten about some of the things I wanted to get done last year. After almost a year I was surprised at how many of them I had accomplished and really appreciated the reminder of the last few thing I wanted to do.

There were times when I would quite literally be sitting at the computer wasting time and get an email about my goal to do 100 consecutive push ups and get on the floor and start doing a set of them right then and there. I might have only gotten 40 or 50 done that time, but at least I was working towards that goal. I was only wasting time anyway and it only took 2 minutes to at least try. Without the quick email I wouldn’t have done them.

There were other times I was going to just loaf in front of the TV and watch reruns of things I’d seen 100 times, but I had to check my email first. Hey, there’s an email from myself telling me I want to run a 10K race by the end of the year. Next thing I knew I was out the door running instead of wasting time watching Homer get mad for the millionth time.

So if you have some resolutions you truly believe in and truly want to accomplish this year, 43Things is a great place to put them and continually remind yourself. After a year of use I believe it can be a great website to keep you on track and remembering what your goals are and what you REALLY want to do with your time. People always ask “How do you stay so motivated?” There’s a million little ways, and 43Things is one of them that helps just a little bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home