Google
 
Web geepersworld.blogspot.com

Monday, September 25

On To The Next Thing

Since turning my life around I've always tried to stay on top of personal challenge after personal challenge. When one ends, I start up another almost right away.

First let's tie up some loose ends. On Sept 17th roughly 100 people ran the Terry Fox Marathon of Hope in my immediate area. We raised just over $10,000.00. Pretty good if I do say so myself. Add that to all the thousands of other event locations across the world and impressive totals start to add up! It was for a great cause, I enjoyed it, did well, enjoyed the training, blah, blah, blah... I'm almost 100% sure I'll be doing it again next year barring some unforeseen accident or event. All in all, great experience, and now it's done.

So now I'm on to the next thing.

Twenty years ago I was into martial arts pretty serious. I was only a young guy, but I loved it. Well, loved it until my instructor made a few key mistakes in his judgment and I came to HATE it over night. I still can't see any logic in what happened, but it did, and I quit because of it. I've always maintained somewhat of an interest in it, but as I became fit-er and fit-er through the past few years my interest has grown once again. (I'll admit, becoming a UFC addict helped push it over he edge a bit, as did having a friend wanting to cast me as a MMA fighter in a pilot for TV last year)

I've kept an ear to the ground for something that would suit me better this time around. Something practical. Something that didn't involve endless Kata's or forms that had no real application. Something good for self defence. Something close. Something where actual sparring (fighting) is practiced. Something that also had quite a bit of a workout to it. Something with real contact. All these and a million other factor over months of planing led me to my first Muay Thai class tonight.

I got home a little while ago and the stiffness is starting to set. I can't even imagine how hard it must be for someone out of shape to get started in this. We started with 3 full rounds of skipping rope, followed by 2 rounds of leg kicks (double time for the last 30 seconds of each round), 3 rounds of combinations (last 30 seconds of each round was full out) an then a cross fit type ending doing as many sets of 5 push ups, 10 sit ups and 15 squats as we could speed out in 6 minutes. That was basically my hour. Doesn't sound that bad but it was pretty brutal for a first class. I know I said it already, but I just can't imagine the average guy or girl (about 90% of the beginner's class was women in amazing shape) just jumping into this, it was hard physically and your cardio conditioning has to be good from day one.

Can't wait for the next class.... I'll keep ya updated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home