Google
 
Web geepersworld.blogspot.com

Tuesday, September 5

Terry Fox Run Update #4

Busy long weekend... I did get to run the actual course in the midst of the 101 things I was doing having a great long weekend with my son and wife though. I was pleasantly surprised at the actual run course, it was a lot easier route than my normal runs. There are a few hills, but that's it. My normal route is all either up or down hill and all on concrete. Even my brother who was with me didn't feel like we had gone far enough when we had made one loop (5K) around the course.

So that was Sunday, but I did get a good long 10K in Saturday morning. Once again it was an hour, but with absolutely no breaks or walking. I'm actually starting to enjoy my 5:30am Saturday morning runs a lot, and look forward to them. Although after the 17th my running will get cut back a lot, simply due to my leg, I think I will probably keep that long early morning run on the weekend as part of my routine. Who knows, I might start going longer distances? As long as it doesn't take time from my son. (I do my runs early while he is sleeping now, hence the 5:30am time slot)

There is something so primal and challenging about just... running. As humans we've done it forever. To hunt, to live, to war, to survive, to travel. Running is as old as we are as creatures. At one point in history if you couldn't run... you died. It was simple as that. Today, even with the distractions and ease of a good mp3 player blasting some cool tunes, comfortable sneakers, breathable clothes and smooth paths you can still feel those basic survival instincts once you are out there running for a while. I really wish I had discovered running when I was younger, or at least before the arthritis... I can understand why people get totally addicted to it.

So basically, things are going good and looking good. The route is easier than my training route, I can definitely run the distance, and my body is holding out. Just got to hold on for 2 more weeks without breaking a leg, spraining an ankle or some stupid injury.

I'll keep you updated....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home