Google
 
Web geepersworld.blogspot.com

Wednesday, October 4

My Body Wants Me To Be A Couch Potato

There's a point where it becomes funny.... a comedy... unbelievable... unless of course, you're the guy going through all this shit.

Every time I start something new... I get new problems. It's like my body just would prefer if I gave up, got fat, ate crap and watched TV all day. I'm determined not to go back to that type of lifestyle, at almost any cost. I try to loose weight, they find I have thyroid disease. I try to run, they find I have arthritis. And so on. If you know me, you know how crazy my medical history has gotten. It's just like a big joke, one that I don't find funny.

Every Muay Thai class starts with 3 rounds of skipping rope. It's one of the best conditioning/fat burning/cardio/ coordination exercises you can do. I suck at it, but I totally realize the value in it. After a couple of nights of skipping it started to bring on INSANLY bad headaches. They would start in my left temple and would slowly travel down to include my left eye, which would start to close and water. Of course this concerned me greatly, but I pushed through it day after day. Hey, I'm a big tough, ugly guy... no headache is gonna stop me... right?

Well, the headaches never really went away. They would subside, and just stay in the background as just a little head tightness, but the second I did any physical activity at all it would jump right back on me. That little guy with the ice pick would jump out of nowhere and start driving that thing into my temple for all he was worth. When I stopped the activity, it would clam in a few minutes and just move back into the shadows waiting for the next time I exerted myself at all, in anyway.

Yesterday I did a couple of pull ups and collapsed to the floor in pain. That was enough. I started to wonder what would happen if the side of my head exploded, or an aneurysm popped or I suddenly died in the middle of the day and what would happen to my son and who would take care of him. So I decided that was enough, I had to get it checked ASAP.

So, in an 8 hour period yesterday... I saw a doctor at a walk-in clinic (who suggested the emergency room might be a good idea), saw a doctor in an emergency room (that was worried by what he heard and saw), I had a cat scan (that showed nothing but didn't ease the Dr's mind, so...), I had a spinal tap (Oh, joy... bliss... NOT FUN) and got a prescription for super heavy duty pain/anti-inflammatory drugs. A lot of people slam the Canadian health care system, but I think that's just exceptional to have that much care and help in 8 hours... and for free.

So to quote the Dr... "All the really bad shit has been ruled out; aneurysms, bleeding on the brain, tumour etc... So, now it's to deal with the pain management..." Lot's of people have weird headaches, and now, I'm one of them, but at least I'm not going to die in the next 24 hours. All I have to get over in the next 24 hours is the spinal tap... and the image of that 10 cm (4 inch) needle going in my back!

The lesson here kids is don't abuse your body when you are young, cause it's gonna come back to haunt you when you really don't want it to. I'm 35 going on 65, and it can be frustrating.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon. You are a fun writer to read. I have to admit I found you via your transformation but your blog is really inspiring and I like the quotes. I am also very inspired by all you have accomplished. Way to go!

6:51 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home