Google
 
Web geepersworld.blogspot.com

Thursday, December 29

43 THINGS

I come across a lot of cool websites just kicking around newsgroups, friends websites etc, but rarely do I find one I bookmark or even join up for. 43 things.com is one I singed up for right away and have been trying out for a couple of weeks now.

Here's the basics, you create a profile using a nick name and start choosing a list of 43 things you'd like to do. You don't have to pick all 43, in fact I've only picked 5 so far. The things are as varied as you can imagine, and if you can't find one for yourself, you can simply make a new category or goal.

How varied are these things you'd like to do... quick list from the home page (that's constantly changing...) "Own a Mercedes Benz, Clean out my attic, watch Lost, pay off my debts, live in a foreign country, learn to SCUBA dive, become a writer, Make a CD, go snowboarding, stand up for what i believe in, improve my vocabulary, drink less during the week, get into college, Be more involved with my church, Get fit and stay fit, go back to Paris", and so on...

As you sign up for things you'd like to do you suddenly can see other profiles of people trying to do these same goals. There's info and tips passed among all these folks as well as updates. You can also see profiles of people who have completed your goal and quite often they leave their tips and helpful suggestions to get to where you want to be.

All this sounds cool... But the best thing I've found is that the site will email you automated messages from "Your past self" telling you to stay on track, or not forget to do whatever it was you wanted to do... These messages will start coming every couple of days.

So what are MY goals? You don't really need to know, but to do 100 push ups was one of them. I kept getting the emails from my past self reminding me to do them, and when I got the messages I would actually get off my chair, drop down and work at it, using tips I got from the others who had already done it. Today, I popped off 101 push ups. (I'm the man!!!)

OK, so it's not a personal trainer on your ass everyday. It's not a buddy guilting you into doing something. It's not a life changing event that makes you aim for all your goals right now before you die. It's not even a Russian prison camp where you have to break those rocks or you don't eat. BUT.. it is kinda cool and can help add a little motivation! 43 things.com check it out.

I just realized how great this would be for new year's resolutions! Time to add some more "Things"!

Gratuitous Hot Chick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home