Google
 
Web geepersworld.blogspot.com

Tuesday, October 4

Reunions

I gotta say... Reunions are WEIRD things...

I just went to my first reunion ever... (Well, that I can remember)... Pretty casual, just the bunch of guys and gals I hung out with in high school. I don't know, probably 30-40 people total, almost all of which I hadn't seen in 15-16 years. Now, instead of going on about this person looking like shit, that person looking the same or this person looked amazing, or he's changed or she hasn't changed I thought I'd just mention what it all meant to me. Cause it was pretty deep emotionally for me.

I'm gonna try to stay away from specifics here, so bare with me...

I honestly didn't think much of myself in high school... as a matter of fact I've almost always suffered from some self esteem problems... Now, seeing people I hadn't seen in so long strangely turned my view of myself in high school around a bit... and I'm still trying to digest it all.

In high school I always felt like a hanger-on'er with most of these folks... It mattered to me that I was their friend, but I never thought it mattered to them at all... And to some of the people at the reunion it was obvious that I didn't matter that night and didn't matter back in high school either. (They weren't rude about it, but their attitude was obvious to me) I was just that guy with bad hair and glasses that was (annoyingly) always around. After high school I moved on and made sure I was never felt like a hanger on again... I was always the center of attention.

Anyways... what had the most impact on me was the amount of friendship, love and caring that was shown to me even after not seeing these folks for 16 years. It really fucked with my head. People I always thought where just "putting up with me being around" were really excited to see me, hear my stories, share theirs and spend an evening catching up. Looking at our year book, talking about school, classes, teachers etc they all had very fond memories of me.

Wait..... That's a strange sentence... "Fond memories of ME"... Now that's hard to deal with.... Again, I always had felt like the outsider... but apparently that's not how they had viewed me... I'm still trying to deal with all this in my head.

I had a great time... I hope it happens again, I hope it happens more often

I am sorry I didn't play a few tunes on guitar for everybody. There was a time after high school where I would play for HOURS at parties... but the fact is I haven't sung in a long time and probably would have sat down, pounded out "Wanted Dead or Alive" and everyone would have gather around and started asking for more... and I would have been at a loss as to what to play... Honestly......... Next time, I promise I'm come a little prepared!

Gratuitous Hot Chick



PS- If J is reading this, I do have to say this... I didn't get a chance to say it before you left... AT graduation, when I was coming down from the podium, you got up out of your seat and jumped into the isle and shook my hand and said you were proud of me, right there in front of the class of 600. (or whatever it was). Saying you were proud of me didn't really mean shit... but the fact that you got up and shook my hand and congradulated me (whatever you said didn't matter) left a lasting impression on me. No one else did it. No one else did it for other people. It really meant a lot to me and I think about it every time I think of high school. THANKS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home